When you login you provide an email address and password. This is one "factor" of authenticating who you are. Two-Factor Authentication refers to using a second factor to confirm your identity, most often a phone. By utilizing Two-Factor Authentication, someone needs both your password and your smartphone to get access to your account.
Setting Up Two-Factor Authentication:
- Click on the Gear icon (settings) top right
- Under the User Settings heading click on Two-Factor Authentication
- Download the Google Authenticator app to your smartphone
- Scan the QR code* with the Google Authenticator
- Enter the 6-digit verification code from your phone
- Click on Enable Two Factor Authentication
* After you scan the QR code a series of Backup Codes will be displayed. You can use these one time backup codes if you lose your phone or you cannot get access to your Two-Factor codes. Please print or write these codes down because you will not be able to view them again.
Logging in with Two-Factor Authentication:
- Login as normal.
- Obtain your 2FA code from Google Authenticator (keep in mind that the code expires every 30-seconds)
- Enter your 2FA code and verify.
While Two-Factor authentication is enabled, each time you login you will be prompted to enter your time-sensitive code displayed in your Google Authenticator app.